We all want to be loved and accepted by the people around us. Most people would agree that the feeling of rejection is the absolute worst. When we’re rejected, we often feel hurt, angry and a bit depressed. But when someone loves you, you feel overwhelmingly happy and your heart swells with joy. This is how you feel when a human loves you. So how would you feel if you knew that Allah loves you? No words could ever describe that feeling.
I hope this following Hadith motivates all of us to seek the love of Allah:
“If Allah loves a person, He calls Gabriel saying: ‘Allah loves so and so; O Gabriel, love him.’ Gabriel would love him, and then Gabriel would make an announcement among the residents of the Heaven, ‘Allah loves so-and-so, therefore, you should love him also.’ So, all the residents of the Heavens would love him and then he is granted the pleasure of the people of the earth.”
- If you’re looking for acceptance amongst the people, first seek the love and acceptance of Allah.
- Imagine being loved by Jibraeel and the other Angels. Imagine being able to meet them in Jannah.
- Imagine being loved by Allah and being able to see Him in Jannah.
Sometimes we try to make people happy by displeasing Allah. We compromise our religion in order to impress society. When our friends sin, we often join in with them. We desire respect, acceptance and love but we look for these things in the wrong places. When we sin to make people happy, we may gain their approval but we lose something much better. We lose the approval of Allah. It’s up to us to decide:
- Whose opinion of me matters the most: Allah or the creation of Allah?
- Whose Judgement of me is the most important?
- Who can enter me into Paradise?
- Who can save me from the Hellfire?
- Therefore, who should I be trying to please?
To summarise, if you want the people to accept you, become a beloved servant of Allah, seek His love and strive to please Him, even if it makes the people unhappy. Allah will grant you acceptance in the heavens and the earth.